The star ingredient of this healthy nighttime tonic is the spice turmeric.
Rich in the polyphenol curcumin, it has been a staple of Indian cuisine and medicine for centuries, believed to contain many health-promoting properties. Modern research has proven this true, showing benefits for inflammation, arthritis, anxiety, heart health, and muscle soreness. This traditional ayurvedic beverage can even help you get to sleep with the addition of magnesium-rich almond milk and almond butter.
You will need:
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond butter
- 2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Heat until warmed through, whisking briskly to break up almond butter and incorporate all spices. Do not allow to boil.
- Pour into a mug top with a dash of cinnamon and enjoy!