Known as Shakshuka, this breakfast dish originated in North Africa and has become very popular throughout the Middle East.
This simple vegetarian meal is a healthy and hearty way to start your day (or at any time of day for that matter!)
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 6 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 small bunch of parsley, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron or stainless steel pan over medium heat.
- Add chopped bell pepper and onion and cook until onion is translucent about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and spices and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the canned tomatoes and juice and stir in salt and pepper.
- Break up the tomatoes and bring sauce to a simmer.
- Make 6 wells in the sauce and crack an egg into each one.
- Cover and cook for 4-7 minutes or until eggs are cooked to your desired firmness.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and parsley and serve.