Try this healthy, herby recipe for an easy weeknight meal with plenty of leftovers for the rest of the week.
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh torn basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 12 ounce jars roasted bell peppers, drained
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes with juices
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery and cook for about 5 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, basil, thyme, garlic, and roasted red pepper. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and use an immersion blender to puree the soup. If you do not have one you can use a regular blender carefully blending the soup in batches.
- Garnish with chopped basil and serve.