How about breakfast in bed for your sweetheart this Valentine’s Day weekend?
We made these festive red velvet pancakes without the wheat or dairy, making them gluten-free, vegan, and absolutely delicious.
You will need:
- 2 cups uncooked rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1/2 cup puree cooked beets
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Blend together oats, baking powder, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt until oats are a fine powder.
- Pour the oat flour mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- In the blender, combine beets, vanilla, maple syrup, almond milk, and banana. Blend until smooth.
- Pour wet ingredient mix into the bowl with the flour. Stir to combine but do not over mix. Some lumps are ok.
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat. Add a little cooking oil to the pan. When the oil is hot, spoon out the batter into small pancakes.
- Cook for about 2 minutes or until the edges of the pancake appear dry and a few bubbles appear in the batter.
- Flip and cook the pancakes on the other side for another minute and a half.
- Once all the batter has been cooked into pancakes, serve warm with the topping of your choice.