Try this fresh and delicious banana pudding that uses coconut milk instead of cow’s milk!
You will need:
- 2 1/2 cups full-fat canned coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 3 bananas, sliced
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Raspberry and lemon zest for garnish
- Heat coconut milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk the coconut milk until it is simmering, not boiling.
- Once the coconut milk is hot, remove the saucepan from heat and add the 3 sliced bananas, stirring until the bananas are coated.
- Cover the saucepan and allow to sit at room temperature for 4 hours, infusing the milk with the banana flavor.
- Once 4 hours has passed, remove the banana slices from the milk and discard.
- Pour 1/2 a cup of the banana milk into a mixing bowl and add honey, egg yolks, salt and arrowroot powder. Whisk.
- Reheat the remaining milk over medium heat, stirring until gently simmering.
- Slowly drizzle the hot milk into the egg mixture while whisking rapidly to avoid curdling the eggs.
- Pour the entire mixture back into the saucepan and heat over low-heat constantly stirring until the pudding thickens slightly about 3-4 minutes. Do not allow to boil or thicken too much.
- Remove from heat and add remaining teaspoon of vanilla, stir.
- Cool slightly and then chill the pudding in the fridge for at least 3 hours or until it’s firmed up.
- To serve garnish with raspberry and lemon zest and enjoy!