Why not whip up this healthier paleo take on carrot cake with cream cheese frosting!
It’s a perfect springtime treat that is naturally sweetened with maple syrup, made gluten-free using almond and coconut flours, and can even be made vegan.
You will need:
- 2 cups packed blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour, unpacked
- 1/2 cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs at room temperature (sub 4 flax eggs to make vegan)
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup melted and cooled coconut oil
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup salted grass-fed butter at room temperature
- 8 ounces almond cream cheese at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar or sweetener such as monk fruit or stevia
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line the bottom of three 6-inch round cake pans or two 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper. Spray parchment paper and sides of pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together all wet ingredients except coconut oil until smooth.
- Now add the coconut oil (which should be liquid at room temperature) slowly until it is well incorporated.
- Stir in the carrots.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 22-32 minutes if using two 8-inch pans and 30-40 minutes if using three 6-inch pans.
- Cakes are done when a tester comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool completely before frosting or removing from pans.
- Make your frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the softened butter and cream cheese and whip on high until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk and beat for 2-3 minutes more.
- When the cake is at room temperature, begin frosting.
- Place about 1 tablespoon down onto a cake stand or plate and spread out. Invert the cake onto the cake stand, add about ½ heaping cup of frosting between each layer, repeat with each cake, then frost the top and sides of the cake with the remaining frosting.
- Once done frosting, place the cake in the fridge and cover.
- The cake can be stored in the fridge for 5-7 days.